It can be a challenge to know how to dress during the months of March and April in the Midwest.
Springtine lends itself to some pretty wacky weather,,,30 degrees one day and 70 the next.…which makes it very challenging for us to plan our outfits! But never fear…there is hope! There are some great investment pieces that not only work in both cold and warm temperatures, but also are classic in nature so they can be worn from year to year and still look timeless.
The main idea during the months of March and April is to wear of mix winter and spring. What do I mean by this?? See the pictures below for ideas, but for example, if you want to wear that flowery lightweight blouse now then pair it with something a little heavier like a medium weight knit cardigan to balance it out. Don’t try to force spring with your overall look…bring little hints of spring in with a pop of a light/bright color or a hint of sheerness. To have a functional yet stylish transitional wardrobe we need to use a mix of layering, color, accessories and a little know-how.
- Layer– Add a pop of spring by using a medium weight 3rd element or garment. Use medium to lightweight layers instead of your bulky knits, which will “lighten” your winter look.
- Lightweight Scarves or accessories- can add a touch of spring to any ensemble. Or bring a spring color into the outfit with a necklace, scarf, handbag or hat.
- Lighter weight inside garments- such as blouses, camisoles, t-shirts, leggings or dresses as your base and layer from there. Then use a jacket or cardi over them if it is on the colder side of the temperatures.
- Footwear– Shoes can vary in our climate-they can look heavy and wintery or light and springy. Take care to switch when the weather dictates, not necessarily the calendar. Switch from heavy boots and footwear to open weave loafers, flats and booties. Save the strappy sandals until you are sure your feet wont freeze!
- Spring Colors– add a touch of spring color into your ensemble. It could be any element, from your pant, top, 3rd layer or an accessory. Nothing brightens up the winter blues like a pop of spring color.
Pat Gibson is a certified Image Consultant, and owner of The Artistry of You, LLC. Pat works with individuals, business owners, and companies to create a unique and lasting impression with your personal or organizational brand. If you are interested in exploring the next steps you need to take to make your mark in your personal life and career please contact Pat at 440-212-2269.